Here are some interesting facts about New Zealand!
1. New Zealand is so close to the sea that no matter where you are in New Zealand, you’ll never be more than 128 km from the seaside.
2. New Zealand is identified as one of the world’s most stable and well-governed states. As at 2017, the country was ranked fourth in the strength of its democratic institutions and first in government transparency and absence of corruption.
3. New Zealand was the first country in the world to give women the right to vote in 1893. In fact, in 2006, the Queen, the Governor-General, the PM, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, and the Chief Justice were all women; making New Zealand the only country in the world till date where all the highest positions have been held by women.
4. The clearest lake in the world, the Nelson’s Blue Lake, with a visibility of up to 80 meters deep, is situated in New Zealand.
5. New Zealand was the last modern country to be inhabited by humans. Archaeologists have estimated the country to be inhabited by humans only in the last 750 years.
6. Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand, is the world’s southernmost capital of a sovereign state, and is also the world’s windiest city by average wind speed of 21 km per hour.
8. Did you know that more penguin species are found in New Zealand than in any other country? Also, there are 9 sheep per each person in New Zealand, making it the highest ratio in the world.
9. Of all the living creatures in the country, only 5% is human. The rest are animals, making it the highest animal to human ratio in the world. Do check out these amazing facts about the human body as well!
10. Have you watched the movie “The Lord of the Rings“? Do you know that the film was shot in New Zealand, except for one scene? The filming of the movie pumped about $200,000,000 into the country’s economy! The New Zealand government even created a Ministry for Lord of the Rings, to ensure profitibality.
So that was all for New Zealand. Do let us know how did you find these facts in the comments section below!