In this blog, we are going to discuss nine amazing facts about the Philippines– The Text capital of the world, which is an archipelago country in Southeast Asia. Do check out some amazing facts about Sri Lanka, which is known as the Pearl of the Indian Ocean!
1. The Philippines is spread over a land area of 300,000 square km and is one of the largest island nations of the world!
2. Manila which is the capital city of the Philippines is the most densely populated city proper in the world with 71,263 persons per square kilometre as of 2019. Manila is also the second most natural disaster-afflicted capital city in the world next to Tokyo, yet it is simultaneously among the most populous and fastest growing cities in Southeast Asia!
3. Due to the large volume of text messages sent throughout the country, the Philippines has earned its nickname of the “text capital of the world”.
4. The world’s largest pearl was discovered by a Filipino diver in the Palawan Sea, Philippines. The 75-pound pearl is valued at $100 million!
5. About 11% of the population of the Philippines, which is more than 11 million people, works overseas! In fact, the Philippines is the top supplier of nurses in the world, with about 25% of all overseas nurses coming from the country.
6. The Philippines Basketball Association is the oldest basketball league in Asia and the second oldest in the world only after the NBA.
7. Filipinos love their shopping malls! The county is home to three out of, the ten largest shopping malls in the world. The names of the malls are The Mega Fashion Hall of SM Megamall, SM City North EDSA and SM Mall of Asia.
8. Typhoons wreak havoc in the Philippines nearly every year, and in 2013, it was Super Typhoon Haiyan that ripped through the archipelago. Haiyan brought the strongest winds ever recorded at landfall as well as the strongest one-minute sustained wind speed of 195 mph.
9. In the province of Camiguin, there are more volcanos than towns. Though there hasn’t been an eruption since the mid 1950s, the island has the most number of volcanoes per square kilometre in the world!
So that was all for Philippines. Do let us know how did you find these facts in the comments section below!