Here are 9 interesting facts about Libya:
1. Libya is home to one of the largest proven oil reserves in the entire African continent while Nigeria is second on the list. However, the unstable political environment of the country in the recent past has led to fluctuations in its oil price globally.
2. The Libyan Desert is one of the most sun-baked and arid places on earth. Infact, there is no average rainfall since the land may go for decades with no rain.
3. Libya has no rivers, as over 90% of the country is occupied with deserts. Also, only 15.5 kilometre square area is considered as agricultural land, which is just 9% of the total area.
4. In Libya’s entire history, it only had one King – King Idris, who reigned from 1951 until he was overthrown by Colonel Gaddafi in 1969. On December 24, 1951, Libya became a Constitutional hereditary monarchy under King Idris of the Sanusi Order after gaining independence.
5. In 2011, after a civil war of global prominence and military intervention by NATO, the citizens of Libya overthrew Gaddafi’s rule which also resulted in his demise. The next year, in 2012, the citizens of Libya voted in parliamentary elections for the first time in 40 years on 7th July.
6. There have been no operational railways in Libya since 1965. However, an extensive system is now being developed and is under construction.
7. In Libya, food is eaten with three fingers on the right hand because the left hand is considered unclean. Good manners dictate that you leave a little food on your plate to indicate that your host is a gracious and generous provider.
8. There is no interest on loans in Libya. Banks are state-owned and loans are given to all its citizens at zero percent interest by law. Infact, the government is said to give such high subsidy on cars that almost every Libyan household has a car.
9. Did you know that all deserving Libyan scholars are sent to study abroad, with all of their expenses being paid by the government?
This was all for Libya. Do let us know in the comments section if you found these facts interesting!