Here are some interesting facts about Saudi Arabia!
1. Saudi Arabia is the largest country in the world without a river. Ninety-five percent of the country is considered a desert or semi-desert, and only 1.45% of the land is arable.
2. Saudi Arabia’s petroleum sector makes up 45% of GDP, which makes it bigger than the total GDPs of Iraq, Morocco, Rwanda, and Tonga combined. Infact, an oil field in the country, known as Ghawar oil field, has enough reserves to fill 4,770,897 Olympic swimming pools. Also, Venezuela has more number of oil fields than Saudi Arabia but it produces less than a fourth of what Arabia produces every year!
3. Saudi Arabia is building the world’s tallest building, which will be 1 kilometer tall known as the Jeddah Tower, or the Kingdom Tower.
4. Almost 60% of the labour force in Saudi Arabia is foreign with most of these working in the oil and service sector. Infact, 30% of the Saudi population consists of immigrants.
5. Saudi Arabia’s annual military expenditure is four times the GDP of Afghanistan. The country spends 10.4% of its GDP on military expenditure, which is actually quite huge, considering the fact that most countries spend around 2 to 4%, with the US around 3.5%.
6. Education, including graduate and post graduate schooling, is entirely free in Saudi Arabia. Besides this, the system also provides free books, stationary and health-care for all students!
7. The population of Saudi Arabia is among the youngest in the world. More than 50% of the population is less than 24 years of age, while only 5% account for 60 or more years of age.
8. Until 2018, Saudi Arabia was the world’s only country where women could not drive legally. The law was changed in 2018 following years of campaigning. Besides, Saudi women were also not allowed to take part in the Olympics until 2012. In 2012, two women took part in the London games and in 2016 four women took part in the Rio de Janeiro games!
9. Not only does Saudi Arabia have a civil police force, but it has also appointed a religious police force called the Mutaween, which is in charge of purifying thought and action in Saudi communities.
So that was all for Saudi Arabia. Do let us know how did you find these facts in the comments section below!