The Aloe Vera plant is a succulent plant species from the genus Aloe. It grows abundantly in tropical climates and has been used for centuries as a medicinal plant. Aloe Vera is one of the most natural ingredients to lose weight, stay hydrated and get a glowing skin!
Aloe vera is a very potent, medicinal plant. It has a whole array of uses for health and wellness and it’s all because of its extensive nutritional profile.
Usually Aloe Vera is either applied directly on the body, or consumed as a juice. Aloe vera juice is a popular choice at many health food cafes and natural food stores.
Let’s discuss some of its effects on our body:
- Clear and glowing skin: Aloe vera gel is enriched with a host of antioxidants like vitamin A, beta-carotene and vitamin E, all of which are known to take care of your skin by preventing early signs of skin ageing. It also gives a cooling effect to burnt or inflammatory skin owing to its anti-inflammatory properties. People mostly use aloe vera as a topical medication, rubbing it onto the skin rather than consuming it. In fact, it has a long history of use in treating sores, and particularly burns, including sunburn.
- Healthy and shiny hair: Aloe vera acts as a natural hair conditioner; it is the presence of proteolytic enzymes that nourish and strengthen your hair from the roots and keep them soft and shining. If your scalp is dry and flaky, aloe vera is your one-stop solution. The moisturising properties of aloe vera can help unclog the pores and remove dead skin cells, further allowing moisture to enter the scalp. A good moisturiser will ensure lesser dandruff or dry scalp problems.
- Treating constipation: The outer portion of the plant contains compounds called anthraquinones, and these have a laxative effect.If a person is trying aloe vera juice for the first time, they may wish to start with a small serving. One serving is usually 1 cup or 8 ounces (oz) of juice.Aloe vera contains several enzymes known to help in the breakdown of sugars and fats and to keep your digestion running smoothly.
- Beauty Hacks: Aloe vera gel is often used as a makeup primer, tan remover, and a natural moisturiser!
- Healthier immune system: Aloe vera causes cells to produce nitric oxide and cytokines that give the much-needed boost to your immune system.
- Treating diseases and disorders: Aloe vera is majorly used in Ayurvedic preparation that is useful in correcting disorders like anaemia. It is known to increase the red blood cell count that keeps your haemoglobin levels in check. It removes the deficiency of Vitamin-C. Aloe Vera gel also benefits Diabetes patients as it is helpful in maintaining blood sugar levels.
While in some ways Aloe Vera is a gift to humankind, it can also have certain side effects.
- Long term effects of latex consumption can cause gastrointestinal discomfort, kidney issues, muscle weakness and arrhythmia.
- Continuous consumption of aloe vera with latex can be fatal.
- Those with IBS, or other digestive disorders should exercise caution when consuming aloe vera gel with latex as it could worsen the condition.
That is all for the topic! Did you know? Honey also is very beneficial for health and fitness, do check out some interesting information on how honeybees make honey! Do let us know if you liked the blog in the comments section below!